Gary Wrede, 63, of Howe was indicted Wednesday on two counts of aggravated assault of a public servant and one count of criminal mischief between $2,500 and $30,000.

The indictments are formal charges and are not an indication of guilt.

A post from the Grayson County Sheriff’s Facebook page said that at around 8:30 p.m. on May 26, the GCSO received a welfare concern from a member of Wrede’s family saying that he was located near a residence in the 900 block of Bennet Road and that the family member was concerned for his welfare.

The post said at around the same time the GCSO received a call from a local media station that a person, who had identified himself as Gary Wrede, had called their station. The GCSO said Wrede pointed weapons at a DPS helicopter, that was on scene assisting the SO.

“A warrant was obtained for the subject while law enforcement was still on scene communicating with him,” the post said. It added that Wrede was arrested peacefully at around 2 a.m. that morning and no one was injured in the situation. GCSO thanked the Sherman, Howe, Tom Bean and Gunter police departments as well as the Texas Department of Public Safety for their help in the standoff.

A KXII reporter talked to Wrede about what he was doing on that late night back in May. The station posted the partial conversation to its website. When asked by the reporter if he had a problem with police, Wrede said he was beaten up by his family members and he was the one who was arrested. He said he had four assault rifles and other guns with night vision.

While Wrede does have a criminal history in Grayson County that dates back to 2001 and includes one charge of driving while intoxicated that was disposed. His records also show terroristic threat and harassment charges that were filed in county court at law 2 on May 26, 2017. He is represented in those cases by Timothy Brown who said he will also be representing Wrede in the charges stemming from Wednesday’s indictment. Brown declined to comment about the indictments.